Tuesday, January 27, 2009

we're not the boss of you now

From The New York Times: On Arab TV Network, Obama Urges Dialogue

Obama's first interview is with Dubai-based Al Arabiya. He strikes "a conciliatory tone toward the Islamic world, saying he wanted to persuade Muslims that 'the Americans are not your enemy.'" About the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, he says: "Ultimately, we cannot tell either the Israelis or the Palestinians what’s best for them. They’re going to have to make some decisions, but I do believe that the moment is ripe for both sides to realize that the path that they are on is not going to result in prosperity and security for their people. And that, instead, it’s time to return to the negotiating table."

This seems like a good move. He not only says, hey guys, we don't want to fight, let's talk about this, specifically to Iran, he also says, basically, that we can't tell you how to live, and if you disagree with me, I'm not going to call you a terrorist. I reserve that for those who actually killing civilians.

I'm glad. I don't want our country to be the boss. We don't know any better than anyone else. I'm glad we have a president now who recognizes that.

No comments: